United Way of Mower County announces 2019 campaign goal; Aim is to hit $1.28 million
The United Way of Mower County has announced its fundraising goal for 2019.
The 2019 Community Campaign fundraising goal is the largest to date at $1.28 million, up from last year’s fundraising goal of $1.275 million, which fell just short, at $1,259,632.
This year’s goal reflects the United Way’s confidence in being able to attain a goal that upon stepping back came up just inches short of the goal line last year.
“This year we’re really trying to bring it back to the basics,” said Molly Lanke, who is in her first stint as executive director for Mower County’s United Way. “The United Way has expanded our own programming and initiatives, but that’s not part of this campaign. This really is a community fund.”
Part of that return to basics is a drive to expand the drive to more aspects of the community.
That includes reaching out to new potential donors.
“I think, especially this year, we want to get out and reach new businesses, new people who haven’t been involved with this in the past,” Lanke said. “Hopefully re-energize last year’s donations and get some new folks. That’s really where that extra $5,000 and $20,000 donations come from.”
Despite the lofty goal, it still can be hard to really guess where the donations may come from.
“I think with fundraising, it’s hard to predict things from year to year,” Lanke admitted. “There are curveballs you can’t account for.”
That’s where getting the word out comes into play, and reaching those people and businesses that are maybe new to giving to charitable causes.
“We just need to develop consistent messaging,” Lanke said.
This year’s Community Fund drive goes through January, which allows staff to know how much money they have to work with when it comes time to start distributing funds.
“Your gift to the United Way of Mower County will be hard at work this year,” Lanke said. “It will help support our neighbors not only in times of crisis, but also in everyday life and activities. UWMC funded programs are proven to make a difference despite facing the challenge of doing more with less, so we’re counting on you to rally around this important cause and help move Mower County forward.”
• Give: You can trust United Way to stretch your dollar to all corners of Mower County and invest it where the biggest impact will be made. Donate today for a better tomorrow at www.uwmower.org/donate.
• Workplace Campaign: The United Way workplace campaign unites employees in all sectors by giving them the opportunity to donate, volunteer, and speak out for causes that matter to them. Workplace campaigns are about more than just raising money for worthy causes; they also strengthen connections between employees and our community. Contact us for more information or to get started today.
• Volunteer: It’s not just about monetary donations. Whether you join in on campaign planning to provide strategy insights or spend a few hours a week preparing campaign materials at our office, your time makes a difference. Contact us to get involved.
• In-Kind Donations: Like we said, all donations are valuable to the United Way! Please reach out if you have a non-monetary gift in mind.
• Campaign: www.uwmower.org/campaign
• Funded Programs: www.uwmower.org/communityinvestment
• Stories of Impact: www.uwmower.org/impact
ST. PAUL — Democrat Dan Feehan announced Tuesday that he’ll run for Congress again, seeking a rematch in southern Minnesota’s... read more