Kick off your wellness journey with Begin
Published 2:36 pm Saturday, December 30, 2017
Each new year brings a sense of new beginnings and the opportunity for a fresh start. Many people take this opportunity to set health and wellness goals.
Hy-Vee dietitians offer Begin, a healthy lifestyle and weight management program for groups and individuals. This program emphasizes eating for good health, weight loss and being physically active. Begin is not a “diet.” Begin is a plan to help with lifelong wellness.
A variety of health and wellness concepts are covered throughout the Begin sessions, and each week participants are able to build on the previous weeks’ topics. Hands-on activities and store tours through the aisles enhance the session topics, which range from portion distortion to physical activity and disease prevention.
Email newsletter signup
One concept that is emphasized throughout the program is the idea of eating regularly throughout the day. Including healthful snacks between meals, which is a great way to increase nutrients that may be lacking in your diet along with helping control portion sizes and food selection at meals.
The following tips may help you find success in your New Year’s resolutions this year:
1. Think S.M.A.R.T. when setting your goals. Goals should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound. Be sure to set smaller, short-term goals along with your long-term goals to ensure continued success.
2. Don’t go at it alone. Choose a group of people who will provide support to help you achieve your goals. This group may include a spouse or significant other, close friends or coworkers, health and wellness professionals and online social groups.
3. Develop a schedule that works for you. Set aside time for meal planning and exercise to be sure they don’t get overlooked at the end of a busy day.
To find a dietitian offering the Begin program and other health and wellness services near you, visit Hy-Vee.com.
To get you started, try this great, delicious recipe for Easy Red Wine Vinaigrette to help cut back those traditional salad dressings.
Easy Red Wine Vinaigrette
Serves 6 (2 tablespoons each)
All you need
•1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
•1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
•1 small clove garlic, minced
•3/4 tsp kosher salt
•1/2 tsp ground pepper
•1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
All you do
1. Whisk vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Whisk in oil in a slow steady stream until emulsified.
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature just before serving.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 172 calories, 19g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 0g protein.
Source: Eating Well, Inc.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.