UPDATE: Family escapes early morning fire, cause of the blaze is electrical

Published 10:05 am Thursday, January 18, 2024

A family is safe in Austin, after a house fire in the early hours on Wednesday morning damaged their home.

According to Austin Police Department Capt. Todd Clennon, the Austin Fire Department and Austin Police Department were dispatched to 600 block of Eighth Street NW at around 1:20 a.m. for a residential fire.

When officers arrived they observed heavy smoke coming from the roof on the south side of the residence and saw flames coming from a small hole on the second floor.

Email newsletter signup

Officers assisted in getting the family out of the home and into their vehicles. When police talked with the homeowner, she stated that she had returned from work and that the electricity was off in the house.

She then went upstairs where she discovered smoke and proceeded to get everybody out of the house. She also said she noticed flames coming from an outlet in her son’s room and had the son call 911.

Despite having fire alarms, the homeowner told police that they had not gone off.

Nobody in the home was injured. 

According to Fire Chief Jim McCoy, the cause of the fire was electrical and damage to the home is estimated to be around $15,000.

He reminds people to check their smoke alarms and replace batteries if they didn’t with the time change. Any alarms over 10 years old should be replaced.

Along with this, McCoy urges people to ensure they have a carbon monoxide alarm within 10 feet of every bedroom.