Music is changing lives
“If you cannot teach me to fly – teach me to sing” — James Barrie
What if a professional singer-songwriter could spend a couple of days with music students at their school, sharing music knowledge, song writing tips and personal experiences?
What if that same singer-songwriter then gave a public concert at a local theater and invited the students on stage to perform together?
That would be a powerful, maybe life-changing, experience. Austin Area Arts is proud to partner with the Minnesota State Arts Board and Her Crooked Heart to make that experience happen in Austin.
On Feb. 11-14, Twin Cities-based band Her Crooked Heart, led by singer/songwriter Rachel Ries, will be in Austin for a week of music outreach, including a multi-day residency with the Austin High School Choir, which culminates in joining Her Crooked Heart on stage at the Paramount. All outreach activities are free and open to the public. Find details at austinareaarts.org.
Tickets are on sale now for the Her Crooked Heart show at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15, at the Paramount Theatre. The show will feature the Austin High School choir, which is directed by Kalle Akkerman. Tickets are $10 for students, $15 adults in advance, $20 adults day-of-show.
In May 2019, the band released their debut record “To Love To Leave To Live” and toured the United Kingdom and United States. Critics compare Her Crooked Heart to David Bowie, Florence and the Machine, Peter Gabriel, Tori Amos and Radiohead. You can see her Crooked Heart Perform their songs “Young Love Is Like Nothing,” (youtu.be/zbxzjq-AYzI) and “Are You Good You Are” (youtu.be/Ak1jqnhO_M0).
Her Crooked Heart’s tour is part of the Minnesota State Arts Board “Arts Tour Minnesota” grant program which is designed to provide Minnesotans greater access to high quality arts activities regardless of geographic location by supporting Minnesota artists to tour Minnesota communities that are outside of their home region.
Coming soon to the ArtWorks Center
- Feb. 4: Open Studio (New), 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Feb. 8: $5 Kids Studio: Wall Hanging Pocket (clay), 10:30am
- Feb. 8: Free Family Art Studio, 1-3 p.m.
- Feb. 15: $5 Kids Studio: Embroidery Houses, 10:30 a.m.
- Feb. 20: Ribbon Painting for Breast Cancer Awareness Class, 5:30 p.m. or 7 p.m.
- Feb. 21: Songwriters Showcase, 6 p.m.
- Feb. 22: $5 Kids Studio: Stained Glass Watercolor, 10:30 a.m.; Date Night on the Wheel (clay), 3 p.m.
- Feb. 28: ArtRocks Open Jam Session, 7-9:30 p.m.
- Feb. 29: $5 Kids Studio: Snowy Owl Painting, 10:30 a.m.
Coming soon to the Paramount Theatre
- Feb. 7-9:Matchbox Children’s Theatre: “Pecos Bill & Slue-Foot Sue Meet the Dirty Dan Gang,”
- Feb. 15: Her Crooked Heart featuring the Austin High School Choir, 7:30 p.m.
More information is available at austinareaarts.org