Best Bets: 41st Lyle Area Cancer Auction this weekend
The annual Lyle Area Cancer Auction will take place starting 6 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17, and running through the evening of Saturday, Jan. 18, or early morning of Sunday, Jan. 19, at the Lyle Legion and Lyle Community Maintenance Building.
Now in its 41st year, the auction helps to raise money for cancer research at The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic.
Various items will be up for auction, including a doll house, kids tractor, and memberships to Coyote Creek Gun & Archery. All money raised will be presented as a check to the Eagles Cancer Telethon in Rochester.
The auction reached a milestone in 2015 when it surpassed $2 million raised since it first began. This year, organizers are hoping to surpass the $3 million mark.
To donate or volunteer, call 507-438-7984, 507-440-3793, or 507-440-0314.
Schedule of Events
• Austin Bruins vs. Minot Minotauros, 7:05 pm. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets available at Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, Games People Play, Jim’s MarketPlace and Riverside Arena. For more information, go to hwww.austinbruins.com.
• Author Visit – Ray Frigard, 1 p.m. at Sweet Reads. Meet Ray Frigard, inventor with many patents, award-winning toy and game designer, teacher for creative problem solving classes, and author of the Opus series – dramas involving musicians in 1980s New York City. For more information, call 507-396-8660.
• Free Movie Event – “Mary Poppins Returns,” 6 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church. Fun, free event open to the public. Free popcorn, pretzels, and drinks, too. Bring blankets, a lawn chair, and your friends. For more information, call 507-433-3258.
• Austin Bruins vs. Minot Minotauros, 7:05 pm. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets available at Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, Games People Play, Jim’s MarketPlace and Riverside Arena. For more information, go to www.austinbruins.com.
• Riders Pancake Breakfast, 9 a.m. to noon at American Legion Post 91. Enjoy an all-you-can-eat pancake feast at the Legion – pancakes, eggs, sausage, coffee and juice. Cost – $8 for adults, $4 for kids down to 6, free for kids under 6. All proceeds benefit Legion Riders programs. For more information, call 507-437-1151.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day Film Screening/Discussion, 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Historic Paramount Theatre. Film screening of Emmy-Award winning “The African Americans – Many Rivers to Cross” with discussion time after. Free event plus free coffee or hot chocolate for all; free popcorn for the first 50 people. Sponsored by the Austin Human Rights Commission in partnership with the Riverland Equity and Inclusion Committee and Austin Area Arts. For more information, contact Sara, Chair of the Austin Human Rights Commission, at email@example.com or 507-460-8948.