73rd National Barrow Show in September
Published 8:06 am Monday, July 29, 2019
Austin will again be host to the annual National Barrow Show in 2019.
The 73rd edition is set for Sept. 7-10 at the Mower County Fairgrounds in Austin. Many of the nation’s top breeding boars and foundation females, purebred breeds and collegiate judging teams will participate in the event.
This year’s hog show will feature a few changes, including consolidation of the purebred shows and sales to one day. Another change involves the addition of another purebred breed, bringing the total number of breeds to nine.
Email newsletter signup
The four-day show begins Sept. 7, with the fifth consecutive NBS Collegiate Meats Judging Contest hosted by Hormel Foods Corporation. The Junior Showmanship Contest gets underway at 4 p.m.
On Sept. 8, events start at 8 a.m. with an awards presentation for the Collegiate Meats Judging Contest. At 8:30 a.m., the NBS Junior Classic Market Hog Show starts, followed by the NBS Junior Classic breeding gilt event at 4 p.m.
The collegiate judging contest starts Monday at 8 a.m., preceding the 4-H and FFA judging contest.
On Tuesday the NBS breeding stock shows for nine purebred breeds and crossbred hogs begin at 7:30 a.m. Breeds represented are Berkshire, Chester White, Duroc, Hampshire, Landrace, Poland China, Spotted, Yorkshire and the newest breed, Hereford. The sale of the purebred breeds and crossbred boars and gilts follow the shows.
The public is invited to attend any of the National Barrow Show activities.
For more information about this year’s show schedule and exhibiting, contact the specific breed office at the following websites: www.nationalswine.com; www.americanberkshire.com and at www.cpsswine.com.
2019 National Barrow Show Schedule of Events
Mower County Fairgrounds
700 12th St SW
Saturday, Sept. 7
- 4 p.m. — NBS Junior Showmanship Contest, Crane Pavilion
Sunday, Sept. 8
- 8 a.m. — Collegiate Meat Contest Awards Ceremony
- 8:30 a.m. — Junior Classic Market Hog Show, Crane Pavilion
- Followed by the Junior Classic Breeding Gilt Show, Crane Pavilion
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. — Windsor Pork Chop Dinner, Plager Building
Monday, Sept. 9
- 8 a.m. — Junior and Senior College, FFA/4-H Judging Contest, Crane Pavilion
- 1 p.m. — FFA/4-H Judging Contest Awards, Crane Pavilion
- 1 p.m. — Individual Market Hog Show, Crane Pavilion
- Followed by Truckload Show, Crane Pavilion; Hog College Home Run Drive, Crane Pavilion; presentation of special awards and judging contest results, Crane Pavilion
Tuesday, Sept. 10
- 7:30 a.m. — Breeding Stock Show, Crane Pavilion, (two rings)
- Two Hours after breeding stock show concludes — Breeding Stock Sale begins, Crane Pavilion.