Man charged with strangling woman

Published 8:24 am Wednesday, May 8, 2019


Edward David Green Jr., 52, of Faribault was charged with felony domestic assault and felony domestic assault by strangulation on Tuesday in Mower County District Court.

According to the court complaint, dispatch received a call from a woman involved in a domestic altercation with Green at 5:18 p.m. on Sunday. During the call, dispatch heard people struggling and a man demanding money and a pipe. The victim then shouted the address of a residence in the 800 block of 23rd Avenue Northwest. Two officers responded to the address; one spoke to the victim while the second officer searched for Green, who had fled the residence on foot.

The victim told police Green had started “getting loud” and she attempted to quiet him because she didn’t want to get evicted from her new apartment. When Green continued to be loud, she threatened to call police, at which point Green struggled to get the phone from her, shattering the phone’s screen. She alleged he placed her in a headlock from behind and strangled her. When she and Green fell to the floor, she said he got on top of her, pressed his knees into her chest and continued strangling her. She said she could not breathe and “got really scared,” but Green stopped when he realized her call to 911 had gone through. Green then ran before police arrived. The victim told police Green had been released from prison a few days earlier for previously assaulting her.

Email newsletter signup

Police observed the victim had a cough and a hoarse voice. There were also several abrasions on the victim’s skin, which she attributed to the assault.

Police were advised that Green was spotted at approximately 9 a.m. on Monday walking near Kwik Trip on Fourth Street Northwest. He was found near the intersection of 13th Avenue Northwest and was arrested.

Green repeatedly told police he did not touch the victim and that she was lying.

A review of Green’s criminal record shows prior convictions for domestic assault, violating a domestic assault no contact order, fleeing police and escape from custody.

Green will appear in court again on May 16.