Best Bets: Electronics recycling at the Mower County fairgrounds; St. Andrews Sisters return
Published 8:36 am Thursday, May 9, 2019
As spring cleaning continues, the City of Austin is giving residents the opportunity to get rid of their old electronic devices without throwing them away.
The city will accept electronic items for recycling from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday at the Mower County Fairgrounds. A small charge will be applied to items brought in for recycling.
Email newsletter signup
St. Andrews Sisters return
The St. Andrews Sisters will be hitting the stage of the Historic Paramount Theatre this weekend with their new show “Just a Little UnCONVENTional.”
Consisting of Coni Nelson as Sister Mary Cecelia, Alice Holst as Sister Mary Jude and Penny Kinney as Sister Mary Genesius, the St. Andrews Sisters provide a special mix of comedy and music with church themes.
“Just a Little UnCONVENTional” will feature the St. Andrews Sisters presenting both classic and new material. Watch for appearances by special surprise guests at this fun, family-friendly show.
“Just a Little UnCONVENTional” will be performed at 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 11, and 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 12. These shows were rescheduled from April 27 and 28.
Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. A cash bar will be available on site. All proceeds go toward the Historic Paramount Theatre renovation and expansion.
For tickets or more information, visit the Austin ArtWorks Center, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
Schedule of Events
• Mother’s Day Dinner, noon at the Mower County Senior Center. Bring the mother in your life or a friend and enjoy a lovely lunch featuring salad, meatloaf, potato, California vegetable medley, and dessert along with entertainment. Cost is $8.50 for members or $9.50 for non-members. To make a reservation or for more information, stop by the Senior Center front desk or call 507-433-2370.
• Chateau Speedway – Points Night, 7 p.m. at Chateau Speedway in Lansing. First green flag at 7:15 p.m. with USRA A Mod, USRA B Mod, WISSOTA Midwest Mod, WISSOTA Street Stock, Hobby Stock, Hornet and Mini Mod. Admission $10 for adults, $5 for pre-teens, free for under 5. For more information, call 507-440-8238.
• Saturday Morning Kids’ Craft – Mother’s Day Wreaths, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Austin Public Library. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Kids’ Studio – Mother’s Day Bags, 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Austin ArtWorks Center. With Gabriella Alva and Alondra Vasquez; taught in both Spanish and English. Project is Mother’s Day bags. For kids ages 4 to 14 years; cost $5. To sign up or for more information, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Family Art Studio, 1-3 p.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. Drop in as a family and get creative with materials provided. Free program, with all ages encouraged to attend and create together. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Funded by a grant from the Austin Area Foundation. For more information, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Frequency’s Summer Send-Off Concert, 7 p.m. at the Frank W. Bridges Theatre, Riverland Community College. The multi-talented students in the music ensemble “Frequency” present an end-of-the-semester concert full of toe-tapping, hand-clapping sounds. Frequency is 10 students divided into four groups playing all sorts of music. From classics like the Beatles and Pink Floyd to Green Day and Billie Eilish, there’s certain to be something for everyone. Tickets $5 adult, $3 for k-12 students, free for Riverland students. For more information, contact Scott Blankenbaker at 507-433-0547 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free Movie Event – “Moana,” 7 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church. Movie to be shown in the Fellowship Hall. Free popcorn and drinks available. Everyone welcome. For more information, call 507-433-3258.
• Sola Fide Observatory, 9-11 p.m. at Sola Fide Observatory. Come out and discover fascinating facts about the night sky during our free observatory open house hours. For more information, call 507-437-7519 or email email@example.com.