Best Bets: Empowering abused and trafficked women
Published 8:00 am Thursday, January 3, 2019
Tim and Doreen Carroll of rural Lyle will be giving Mower County residents an opportunity to help women who have been victims of abuse and sex trafficking by hosting a fundraising event for Magdalene’s Light on Saturday.
Magdalene’s Light is a program designed to help victims by teaching them skills, such as business skills, to acclimate them into society. The Carroll’s are leasing a 118-acre camp facility in Floyd, Iowa, and are hoping to grow their program as well as expand the program offered at the camp.
The event will begin at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 5, at the Carroll farm, 51127 130th Street in Lyle. Activities will feature sleigh or wagon rides, depending on the weather, as well as soup and fellowship under large tents at the farm.
Email newsletter signup
A freewill offering is asked of those who participate. All proceeds will benefit Magdalene’s Light.
Movie at the Spam Museum
Ring in the New Year with an appetizer and drink at B&J Bar and Grill followed by a movie at the Spam Museum during the Spam Museum’s First Thursday event.
For $10, participants can get an appetizer and a beverage (including beer or wine) at B&J Bar and Grill, then head to the Spam Museum to watch “Ocean’s 8” (PG-13). Popcorn, candy and water will be available during the movie as part of the package, which can be purchased at the Spam Museum (cash only).
Appetizers and drinks at B&J will begin at 5 p.m. The movie will begin at 6 p.m. at the Spam Museum.
For more information, call 507-434-6401.
Schedule of Events
• Austin Bruins vs. Brookings Blizzard, 7 p.m. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets are available at the door or at Hy-Vee, Games People Play, Holiday Inn, or Jim’s Market Place. For more information, call 507-434-4978.
• Austin Masonic Lodge All You Can Eat Pancake Feed, 9 a.m. to noon at the Austin Masonic Lodge. Enjoy a delicious all-you-can-eat pancake feed complete with bacon, sausage, juice, milk and coffee, while helping raise funds for local organizations. Proceeds for January benefit the Austin High School Orchestra program.
• Kids’ Studio – Polymer Clay Beads, 10:30 a.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. With Beth Hamilton. For kids ages 4 to 14 years old; cost $5. For more information or to sign up, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Whitetails Unlimited Southern MN Deer Camp, 5:30-9:30 p.m. at Holiday Inn Austin Conference Center. Opens with social hour, games, and raffles; dinner starts at 7 p.m. Tickets available on line at www.whitetailsunlimited.com or call 1-800-274-5471. For more information, call Chris at 507-450-6256.
• All You Can Eat Pancakes, 9 a.m. to noon at American Legion Post 91. Breakfast includes eggs, sausage, orange juice or milk, and endless pancakes. Tickets $8 at the door. Proceeds go to help veterans in need. For more information, call 507-437-1151.