Man awoken by ‘popping’ noises during house fire

Published 8:21 am Thursday, July 26, 2018

A LeRoy resident was awoken Wednesday morning after hearing “popping” noises during a house fire.

According to Mower County Senior Sgt. Investigator Steve Sandvik, emergency responders were called at 3:40 a.m. on Wednesday to a house fire in the 500 block of East Main Street in LeRoy. The resident said he heard the popping noises and thought somebody was breaking in until he saw the house filling with smoke.

LeRoy and Chester Fire Departments responded to the scene and extinguished the fire. It was determined the fire was caused by an electrical issue in the basement.

Email newsletter signup

No injuries were reported and the resident declined housing assistance.

Sandvik said there is no damage estimate at this time.