Best Bets: Supporting small town fire departments
Published 8:28 am Thursday, March 22, 2018
Residents of Mower County will have the opportunity to support two small town fire departments this weekend.
The Brownsdale Fire Department will host a fundraiser fish fry on Friday. Tickets are priced $12 for adults and $6 for kids ages 12 and under. The meal includes fish, baked potato, coleslaw, beans, coffee, milk or lemonade. A kid’s hot dog meal is available for the picky eater in your family.
All proceeds raised from the event will go towards the purchase of new air packs to help protect the firefighters from the dangers of cancer.
The fish fry will be held from 4-8 p.m. on Friday at the Brownsdale Fire Station, located at 402 Mill St. S. For more information call 507-567-2616.
Are you still hungry? If so, the Rose Creek Fire Department has you covered.
The Rose Creek Fire Department will prepare steak sandwich meals on Saturday.
For $10, diners can get a steak sandwich, baked beans, potato salad, potato chips, dessert and a beverage. All money raised will go toward updating fire equipment.
Meals can be purchased from 5-7 p.m. on Saturday at the Rose Creek Fire Hall, located at 105 Maple St. SE. For more information, call 507-434-0645.
‘Scouting for Food’ food drive this weekend
As part of the National Good Turn America Project, Twin Valley Council Boy Scouts will collect donations for the local food shelves. Put out your bag(s) full of items by 9 a.m. for pick-up.
Items especially needed include paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates and cups), toiletry items, pasta, cooking oil, crackers, cake mixes, canned goods, Jell-O, juices, drink mixes, coffee. Please do not include outdated or items with damaged packaging.
If you prefer to make a cash donation, please give directly to a Scout unit or local food shelf.
For more information, call 507-387-3123.
Schedule of Events
• Austin Community Playgroup – Easter Parade, 9:50-11:30 a.m. at Sacred Heart Care Center and Austin Congregational UCC. Join us with your Easter bonnet, bunny ears, or bunny costume. Meet at Sacred Heart Care Center main entrance for a parade, then move back to the Congregational Church for an egg hunt at 10:30 am. Cost is $2 per child (to help pay for eggs and treats). Registration required. For more information, call Sheila at 507-399-1924, or go to https://www.facebook.com/austincongoucc/?fref=ts.
• American Red Cross Blood Drive, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Mayo Clinic Health System. Please call 507-567-2478 to make an appointment. Please bring your Red Cross donor card or a photo ID.
• American Red Cross Blood Drive, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the LeRoy Community Center. Please call 507-567-2478 to make an appointment. Please bring your Red Cross donor card or a photo ID.
• Fish Fry, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Knights of Columbus Hall, 211 First St. SE. Adults $8, ages 4-12 $6, 3 and under free. Full bar. Broiled fish available too.
• An Evening with the Arts – Jim Wegner, 6:30-8 p.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. Join James Wegner on an artistic journey, “An Invitation to See.” This is a lecture-based class. For more information or to register, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Relay for Life Night with the Austin Bruins (vs. Minnesota Magicians), 7:05 p.m. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets available for purchase from Relay For Life Members. 50/50 Raffle will be held at the game. For more information, call 507-434-4978 or 507-438-4220.
• Book Art – Origami, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Austin Public Library. For all ages. Meet in the Austin Public Library programming room. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Tech Tutor Time, 1-2 p.m. at the Austin Public Library. Basic one-on-one computer tutoring provided for such things as setting up and using email, using web browsers, working in Google Docs or MS Word, searching the library’s collection, downloading eBooks, and assisting with projects in progress. Not able to deal with viruses, fix hardware issues or do intensive troubleshooting. Bring your own device or use one of the library’s desktops. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Paint Your Pets, 1-4 p.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. With Katie Hunderdosse. Email a photo of your pet to be pre-drawn on your canvas to email@example.com by March 17. This class is perfect for beginner painters. The class will be guided instruction and students will be painting from a photograph. Cost is $55 – all supplies provided. For more information or to register for this, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Tech Programs for Youth – Hour of Code, 1:30-2:30 p.m. at the Austin Public Library. For kids in grades 4-12. Meet in the Austin Public Library programming room. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Sola Fide Observatory Viewing, 9-10 p.m. at Sola Fide Observatory. Learn about the night sky from our local experts. For more information, call Keith at 507-440-1244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Author Visit – Terry Nelsen, 1 p.m. at Sweet Reads. A presentation about the three-year saga of his lay missionary journey in Ghana, West Africa. For more information, call 507-396-8660.