Cigarettes in trash can cause $10K in damage; Small fire fills Austin house with smoke, fire chief reports

Published 8:09 am Wednesday, November 1, 2017

An Austin home was damaged on Tuesday after discarded cigarettes caused a trash can to catch fire.

According to Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy, firefighters responded to a call of a fire at 12:10 p.m. Tuesday at a residence in the 800 block of Tenth Avenue Southwest. The residents told fire fighters the house was full of smoke when they came home.

The smoked cigarettes had been thrown away in a trash can located in a hallway off the dining room before the residents left the house.

Email newsletter signup

By the time fire fighters arrived, the fire had spread up a bit of the wall and part of the floor.

No one, including the pets at the home, was hurt. McCoy estimates about $10,000 worth of smoke damage was done to the house.