Compactor on back of old Hy-Vee catches fire

Published 11:58 am Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The Austin Fire Department put out a fire in a trash compactor at the back of the old Hy-Vee building around 11:10 a.m. Tuesday.

Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy said a contractor was trying to cut the compactor from the building when some oil caught fire.

Large flames were reported and smoke damage could be seen on some brick on the southeast corner of the former Hy-Vee.

Email newsletter signup

However, a few Hy-Vee employees on scene said they don’t have any property left in the building. Hy-Vee opened its new store on the other side of Shopko in May, and Slaby and Associates of Wisconsin is marketing the former Hy-Vee property for potential new retail.