Teen injured in fire released from hospital; Funeral set for father

Published 10:24 am Monday, February 13, 2017

A 19-year-old injured in a fire last week has been released from the hospital, and funeral services have been set for his father, who died in the blaze.

Dakota Langan was released from the hospital on Sunday, according to Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin officials. His father, Michael Langan, 58, died in the fire, and funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 17, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church with visitation to be held for one hour prior to the service at the church.

Michael died in a house fire on the 1500 block of 29th Avenue Southwest on Thursday, Feb. 9.

Email newsletter signup

Dakota had broken out an east bedroom window on the south side of the home when fire firefighters, assisted by Austin police officers, finished breaking out the window and pulled him to safety, according to Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy. He was transported by Gold Cross Ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin for smoke-related injuries.

McCoy said a firefighter, who was not identified, was also treated for injuries at the hospital, and was released. He said the injuries were not due to either smoke or burns, but did not elaborate.

According to a report from Mower County Sheriff Terese Amazi, Dakota called dispatchers at 7:38 p.m. on Thursday, saying the house was on fire and that his dad was suffering burns. It is suspected the blaze began as a cooking fire, said McCoy, but that has yet to be confirmed by a state fire marshal, who was on the scene Thursday night. His investigation was still being conducted on Friday, McCoy said.

The fire, McCoy said, was knocked down fairly quickly and the scene cleared at about 10 p.m., although a crew stayed on site to make sure it remained secure. The home is located just outside the city limits, and suffered smoke and fire damage.

Austin had no fire-related deaths in 2016, but there were two fire fire-related fatality 2015, on Thanksgiving and Christmas.