Adams Dairy Days kicks off Friday
Adams is getting ready to celebrate summer with its annual Dairy Days this weekend.
Started in the 1970s, this celebration continues well into the 21st century with a lot of events for kids and adults, complete with ice cream eating contest and a milking contest.
Booster Club member Anna Sathre said the three-day event brings people together.
“It is fun to see the community come together and throw a really nice town celebration,” Sathre said.
She said a few of the big draws are the parade and chicken fry. They try to have a variety of activities for all ages.
“We end our celebration with a friendly milking contest to keep with our dairy theme,” Sathre said.
Saturday: 8 p.m. to midnight, Wasted Weekend, behind Legion
Sunday: 5 p.m., Forty Milers, Legion stage
Sunday: 6 to 7 p.m., Brad Boice — an Elvis Tribute Artist, in front of Northern Country Co-op (rain location: Legion)
Friday, June 10
• City-wide Rummage Sales: all day, 20 miles along the Shooting Star Byway — LeRoy, Taopi, Adams, Rose Creek and places in between
• Dodgeball Tournament: 4 p.m. at Southland High School, co-ed entering grades 4-6 at 4 p.m., boys entering grade 7-9 at 5 p.m., girls entering grade 7 to adult at 6 p.m. and boys entering grade 10 to adult at 7 p.m.
• Southland Summer Smash: youth wrestling at football field (rain location is high school), www.theguillotine.com
• Outdoor Movie: 9 p.m. featuring “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip,” rain location is EMS building, Lucky Clovers 4-H concessions
• “Squeeze Out Cancer” cookie and lemonade stand, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 106 Bergan St.
• Next Step Cafe, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., baked goods
• Sacred Heart Church Gym, 5 to 8 p.m., pulled pork meal, free will donation
• Coloring Contest, due by 8 p.m., drop off at Heimer Foods
Saturday, June 11
• City-wide rummage sales continue
• Lions Club Pancake Breakfast and Silent Auction, 8 a.m. to noon at fire hall
• 5K Run/Walk, 9 a.m., $5 entry fee; Kids’ Mile Fun Run, 9:05 a.m. $1 entry fee; Duathlon (2 mile run/10 mile bike, 2 mile run), 10:30 a.m., $10 entry fee; registration starts at 8:15 a.m. at Sacred Heart School, proceeds go to Sacred Heart Juggling Team
• Big-Cup Golf Tournament, 9 a.m. at Cedar River Country Club
• Youth Bean Bag Tournament, register from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., throw at 1 p.m., behind Legion/City Hall
• Adult Bean Bag Tournament, register from 5 to 5:45 p.m., throw at 6 p.m., behind Legion
• Car Show: behind Legion, registration noon to 1 p.m., show from 1 to 4 p.m.
• Kiddie Pedal Pull, 2 p.m., behind Legion, sanctioned
• Steak Fry: 5 to 8 p.m., Legion, (Military Museum open)
Sunday, June 12
• Coronation of Dairy Days Prince and Princess, noon, Southland High School
• Grand Parade, 1 p.m., line up north of First and Water Streets, prize for best float
• Pickup, Semi and Tractor Pull, 11 a.m., Adams City Park, contact 507-438-6639
• Lady’s Auxiliary Luncheon, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., legion
• Chicken Fry: 4 to 8 p.m., Legion
• Ice Cream Eating Contest, 7 p.m., Northern Country Co-Op
• Milking Contest: 8 p.m., cash prize drawing after contest, Northern Country Co-Op
After Parade events:
• Kids’ games after parade: outback bouncer and volcano adventure slide, clowns, balloons, face painting
• Meet and Greets with Curious George, Nordy —Minnesota Wild mascot, Bruiser —Austin Bruins mascot, Goldy — Minnesota Gophers mascot
• Fire Department Kids’ Water Fights, 2 p.m. at the basketball courts
• Kracker Jacks Drumline performance
•American Legion Military Museum open