2 charged in AHS riot plead not guilty

Published 10:33 am Friday, October 16, 2015

A man and woman pleaded not guilty Thursday to their alleged roles in the large Austin High School riot on Sept. 28.

Willie J.M. Brunt, 27, and Angel Alicia McCullough, 30, pleaded not guilty to charges for felony second-degree rioting with a dangerous weapon and misdemeanor assault with a dangerous weapon for their roles in a Sept. 28 fight at Austin High School, which resulted in at least 11 arrests — many of which involved juveniles.



Brunt also pleaded not guilty to charges of one count of felony fifth-degree drug possession and one count of gross misdemeanor obstructing the legal process by resisting arrest after he was released from jail on bond Oct. 1 and arrested Oct. 2 when officers executed a search warrant at Brunt’s home where they allegedly found heroin and marijuana, according to the complaint for the incident on Oct. 2. When officers tried to detain Brunt, he allegedly attempted to run, was taken to the floor by officers but continued to resist arrest and was eventually handcuffed and taken to the Mower County Jail.

Email newsletter signup

The “large-scale fight” on Sept. 28 included dozens of people brawling in the street outside the high school and repeated acts of violence, while onlookers took video and encouraged the participants to fight, according court documents.

Along with Brunt and Angel, Odell Dorrea McCullough, 27, pleaded not guilty on Oct. 1 to felony second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and felony second-degree rioting with a dangerous weapon.

An investigation found the fight may have stemmed from a prior fight between high school girls, which resulted in the adults gathering and the eventual “riot.”



The adults charged were related to or friends of one of the high school students involved, and several others showed up to fight for other students. Brunt is Angel’s boyfriend, and the McCulloughs are brother and sister, according to court records.

An Austin police officer patrolling the south side of the school heard and saw the fight break out. He reportedly saw a female dragging two students by the hair and grabbed her and held her against the lobby door, but he was then struck on the head by an unknown subject.

The officer observed two people injured — one unresponsive and bleeding from the head, and a second dazed on his knees.

That’s when the officer heard students scream, “He has a gun,” according to court records. Students pointed at Odell, who was seen with a black shiny object as he ran from officers to the north. Officers apprehended Odell at gunpoint; he was initially non-compliant before surrendering.

Additional officers arrived at the scene and found the nunchucks. Odell admitted he had possessed the nunchucks, which Angel said he always carries, according to the complaint. No gun was ever found.

Odell was caught on video striking people with nunchuks, while Angel was shown dragging a female student by the hair and punching her, and Brunt was seen punching several students, according to the complaint.

Angel admitted they went to the school because their acquaintance was having issues with other students, and she claimed the fight started when a group of girls started fighting her acquaintance. However, officers stated that video showed Angel confronting a student.

Angel reportedly admitted she pulled a girl’s hair, but only after she was hit.

Odell previously pleaded not guilty to felony second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and felony second-degree rioting with a dangerous weapon.

Brunt is scheduled for trial March 14, 2016, and Angel is scheduled for trial Feb. 1, 2016. Odell’s next scheduled court appearance is Dec. 18.

—Jason Schoonover contributed to this report.