Christmas in the City nears kickoff
Published 8:11 am Sunday, November 16, 2014
We had snow last week, but Santa Claus isn’t coming to town quite yet.
It felt a little like the holiday season with last week’s winter weather, and now Austin is getting ready to truly get in the spirit.
Austin’s annual holiday kickoff events are fast approaching. As always, Santa will help the Austin Area Chamber of Commerce start the season with Christmas in the City from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 28. Christmas in the Northwest returns from 4 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 2, and Christmas in the Southwest returns from 4 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 4. Christmas in the County will return Dec. 12 and 13.
Email newsletter signup
Christmas in the City Kickoff
5:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 28
Holiday stroll with Santa
Meet at First Avenue Northwest and Main Street. Children will light the way as the Austinaires, Santa Claus, and a cast of holiday characters march from the corner to the Town Center stage to light the downtown Christmas displays. free glow sticks will be distributed to children by Chamber Ambassadors. See “Bruiser” the Austin Bruins Mascot, Merry Elf and other holiday characters walking the streets throughout the night.
• Free photos with Santa by Mary Landherr Photography in the Town Center Building. Candy cane treats for children.
• Live entertainment on Stage including the Austinaires, Pacelli Singers, Taylor Bliese and our emcee; Dick McIntosh. Sound provided by Imagery Sound.
• Horse-drawn sleigh rides.
• Kaptain Kirby train rides.
• Musical entertainment in Town Center, including the Austin High School Brass Quintet, Ecumenical Bell Ensemble and Ellis String Quartet. Plus, enjoy the magic of Jim Jayes.
• Free face painting by Matchbox Theatre in the ArtWorks Center.
• Jane Taylor Academy of Dance Christmas Shows: Pacelli High School. Shows at 6:30 and 8 p.m. Scenes from the Nutcracker and other holiday dances will be performed. Free will donation.
• Merry Elf, a magical, colorful personality will light up the downtown area from 5:30-7:30 p.m. handing out treats to the children.
• Austin Fire Department: (across from Rydjor Bike) come and see the fire trucks and greet “Sparky.”
• B&J Bar and Grill: free ooey-gooey s’mores served outside.
• Belles & Beaus Bridal and Formal Wear: Watch our “live” models, enjoy free hot cider and donut holes.
• Evenson’s Hallmark: Stop in for treats.
• Bendixen Jewelry: Warm up with hot apple cider and Christmas treats; 20 percent off all in-stock merchandise.
• Coffee House on Main: Stop in and warm up with a cup of our coffee or hot chocolate. Talk with Power 96 Radio and record your “Innocent Christmas Wishes” for Santa. These interviews will be edited and aired Monday through Friday from Dec. 1-19 on Power 96 and KQAQ-970AM at about 1:35 p.m.
• Donut Connection: Stop in for a free children’s scoop of ice cream or cup of coffee.
• Downtown Pawn Shop: Come and check us out while enjoying cider and cookies.
• El Mariachi: Christmas treats for children.
• Evenson’s Hallmark: Stop in for a treat.
• Lou’s Forever Framing: Decorate a free photo mat for your picture with Santa.
• Hastings Shoe Store: Open house with refreshments; 10 percent savings on in stock boots and shoes.
• Healing Palms Spa: Come in for holiday treats.
• InnoVision Eyecare: Stop in for cookies and apple cider.
• Novedades Cristal: Come in and enjoy a free cup of “Ponche” or coffee. Browse our store for those special Christmas items.
• On Track: Here you can purchase your handmade holiday wreaths and Packer Bleacher Blankets made by Austin High School Students.
• Philomathian Religious Books & Gifts. Open House with 15 percent discount on merchandise all night long.
• Piggy Blues BBQ: free sample of Gelato (Italian ice cream) and register for prizes: $100 in chamber bucks and $100 Piggy Blues gift card.
• Rydjor Bike: Help us kick off the holiday season; we will be serving hot apple cider and children can decorate their own sugar cookie. In-store specials all season.
• Twice is Nice: A spectacular holiday open house. The store will be filled with decorating ideas on all three floors. (20 percent off
all vintage items, antiques and clothing. Three floors of true holiday splendor.)
• VFW Post 1216: Jam Session, plus Cosmic Live Music: $3 fee, also bring food shelf donation for Salvation Army.
• Welcome Center: open house; stop by for a snack.
• Willow Cove: Come in and register to win a handmade sign.
Look to next week’s Spotlight for schedules of both Christmas in the Northwest and Christmas in the Southwest.