Flames engulf Albert Lea Main Street structure
Published 10:39 am Monday, November 25, 2013
Blaze takes shed with cars inside
ALBERT LEA — A fire completely engulfed a structure on Main Street in Albert Lea early Monday morning.
No one was hurt, although three classic automobiles were damaged, said Jeff Quam of Albert Lea. He and his son, Wade, own the shed. It remains unknown what started the blaze.
Jeff said the cars lost to fire were a 1955 Chevy, a 1950 Studebaker and a 1968 Ford Mustang. He said a cat was lost in the fire, too.
Email newsletter signup
He said he had owned the Chevy for 21 years. The other two cars belonged to other people and were being stored for the winter. He said the gasoline and oil in the cars gave fuel to the fire. He said he had no idea what started the fire.
Albert Lea Director of Public Safety Dwaine Winkels said the state fire marshal is investigating the fire.
The fire, on East Main Street behind Subway, was called in by a passer-by at 6:20 a.m., Winkels said. The building was a pole barn, which has wooden frames and a sheet metal exterior. It lasted to nearly 8 a.m., when firefighters began using a skidloader with a front excavator to knock down walls and seek out hotspots. Police blocked off East Main Street from Garfield Avenue to Newton Avenue. Many morning commuters could spot the blaze from Bridge Avenue.
The Quams own about an acre at that location, with other buildings undamaged.
Click here to read an update.