Fire destroys garage, firefighters save house

Published 10:09 am Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Firefighters prevented a house from going up in flames Wednesday morning near the Austin Country Club; however, a nearby garage and its contents were destroyed. Nobody was injured.

The Rose Creek Fire Department responded to the garage fire at about 4 a.m. Wednesday at 56571 220th St. According to the Mower County Sheriff’s report, a person at the home reported a loud bang, smelled smoke and noticed the garage was on fire. A neighbor also reported hearing the loud noise. They suspect lightning struck the garage and caused the fire.

According to Rose Creek Fire Chief Fred Ulven, the garage is a total loss, and flames from the garage also touched the house. However, firefighters limited damage to the exterior of the home and one bedroom. The three people in the home were unharmed.

Email newsletter signup

There is no damage estimate yet. The Austin Fire Department assisted by bringing water to the scene.