Conservation, drainage assistance available in county after rains

Published 7:14 am Thursday, May 23, 2013

After heavy continuous rainfall, those in need of drainage or conservation assistance can find help within the county.

Farmers and landowners in need of help may contact local contractors and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)/Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) office to repair or install new conservation practices.

The rainfall events have taken a significant toll on the streams, ditches and adjacent crop ground. The SWCD and NRCS staff can provide technical assistance to producers to assist in any landowner concerns.

Email newsletter signup

Those with an erosion issue may contact the conservation staff for advice, technical and/or possible financial assistance. Practices could include grassed waterways, terraces or basins, diversions, grade stabilization structures, ditch bank blowouts and conversion to no-till, strip-till or ridge-till.

Call the NRCS/SWCD office for questions and assistance at 507-434-2603.