Man charged after high-speed chase through Austin

Published 6:05 pm Monday, March 12, 2012

An Austin man who allegedly led police on a chase through northern Austin last Wednesday was charged in Mower County Court Friday.

Alexander Logan, 26, faces charges of a DWI, reckless driving, driving after revocation and one count of fleeing an officer in a motor vehicle, a felony.

An officer was on patrol around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 7, when he noticed an unoccupied car running in an alley at the 900 block between Third Avenue and Fourth Avenue NE. The officer circled around and saw Logan — wearing a white shirt and hat — get into the car and drive off onto Third Avenue NE, running a stop sign while turning onto Eighth Street NE.

Email newsletter signup

Police followed the car, a black Honda Accord, as Logan turned north onto 10th Street NE. Krueger said Logan sped up, turning eastbound at Eighth Avenue NE, and continued to drive through town at high speeds while running another stop sign.

Logan turned onto Interstate 90 from 11th Drive NE, going westbound at 93 to 94 miles per hour, according to police reports. The driver exited onto Fourth Street NW, where he ran a stoplight at the top of the on-ramp and turned southbound.

Logan quickly turned west onto 12th Avenue NW before going south on Sixth Street NW. He ran past two more stop signs before another officer approaching from the south was able to stop him.

Police stopped Logan, who was driving at about 40 to 50 miles an hour through the northwest part of Austin, at the 700 block of Sixth Avenue. They ordered Logan out of the car at gunpoint, arrested him and took him to jail, according to Krueger. Officers also found a 12-ounce can of Bud Light opened in the car, along with several unopened Bud Light cans.

Krueger said police took Julie Duncan, 38, of Austin into custody and questioned her at the Law Enforcement Center. Duncan was a passenger in the car, which belongs to her. She was cited for allowing an unlicensed driver to operate her vehicle.

Logan’s next court appearance will be March 22.