Fire chief: Faulty wiring caused fire

Published 8:52 am Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Austin firefighters responded to a structure fire Aug. 9 at the Restaurant Warehouse in northeast Austin. - Herald file photo

A fire that tore through the Restaurant Warehouse at 608 10th St. NE last Tuesday was caused by wiring deficiencies, according to Austin Fire Chief Mickey Healey.

“After investigation by both Austin Fire Department and a private investigation company, the cause has been determined to be electrical,” Healey said in an e-mail to the Herald.

Healey said the fire was caused by “deficiencies in the wiring along with demand of electrical appliances that overloaded an electrical outlet, which then ignited the structure.”

Email newsletter signup

No damage estimate is available yet, Healey said.

The blaze, which happened last Tuesday evening, stayed toward the back of the building, only leaving light smoke damage in the front office area. The rest of the building sustained “extensive structure damage,” including damage to the roof, Healey said.

Owner Bob Nelson said the roof was replaced about three years ago. He said Tuesday he was in “disbelief” to see the fire tearing through his business.

The warehouse had between $100,000 and $150,000 of merchandise in it during the fire, Nelson said. He said he is fully insured.

Nobody was in the building during the fire, and nobody was injured.

The Austin Fire Department was called to the Restaurant Warehouse in June for a small fire caused by holiday decorations that spontaneously combusted.