Man injured in A.L. house fire

Published 4:02 pm Thursday, March 17, 2011

Emergency crews respond Thursday to a stove fire on the 300 block of Burr Oak Drive. One man received minor injuries attempting to put out the blaze. -- Sarah Stultz/Albert Lea Tribune

One man was injured Thursday afternoon in a small house fire in the 300 block of Burr Oak Drive in Albert Lea.

Brad Combs of New Richland reportedly received burns on his right hand and two fingers of his left hand.

Albert Lea firefighter Ben Davis looks at the charred range hood vent that was burned Thursday in a stove fire on the 300 block of Burr Oak Drive. -- Sarah Stultz/Albert Lea Tribune

Combs said he was installing a hood vent for an electric range when he went to the garage for a tool. Something told him to go back in the house, he said, and he found cardboard on fire that had been left on the range to protect it. He noted he must have turned on a stove burner accidentally.

Email newsletter signup

When he looked in the kitchen there were flames up to the cupboard, and he attempted to pull off the cardboard, burning his hand in the process.

He then poured five or six bowls of water onto the blaze, before he couldn’t handle the smoke anymore and ran out of the house to call the Albert Lea Fire Department.

The fire was contained to the kitchen.

The home is owned by Bob and Genie Hansen. Combs, their nephew, was doing some work while they are on vacation.

He was treated by Albert Lea Medical Center crews.