Man’s death leads to Minn. motel fire

Published 8:02 am Wednesday, December 29, 2010

INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. — Fire investigators say a 70-year-old man’s death while smoking led to a fire at an International Falls motel.

Police say Runo Korpi died from medical complications at the Budget Host Inn. A cigarette Korpi was smoking then ignited the room.

KQDS-TV reports the International Falls fire chief says Korpi’s body was found on the floor between his bed and a chair.

Email newsletter signup

Hotel guests reported the fire just after 3:40 a.m. Tuesday. Several guests were evacuated safety and sent to another hotel to stay.