Gas leak concerns shut down Main Street

Published 10:19 am Monday, December 27, 2010

A potential gas leak in the building that houses the Coffeehouse on Main was evacuated Monday morning as a precaution.

Police cordoned off the portion of Main Street in front of the coffeehouse around 8:15 a.m. after someone complained of a natural gas smell.

Fire Chief Mickey Healey investigated the scene to make sure the building didn’t have an excess of natural gas accumulation, which could cause an explosion.

Email newsletter signup

The building and that section of Main Street were both open again by 9:15 a.m. after Healey determined the building as safe.

Healey said there had been a buildup of snow and ice in the ventilation system, causing natural gas to bounce back into the building.