Combine catches fire in LeRoy

Published 9:30 am Thursday, October 14, 2010

LeRoy Fire Department and Mower County deputies responded to a brush fire caused by a combine in LeRoy Wednesday evening.

Jon Bergan, 49, was harvesting his crops in his combine when he noticed a trail of fire following him. Bergan immediately exited the combine and saw that the underside of it was also on fire.

LeRoy Fire extinguished the fire on the machinery, as well as the remaining pockets of fire in the field.

Email newsletter signup

Sheriff Terese Amazi said the flames were caused by an overheated belt on the combine.

Amazi said the combine is not a total loss and should be salvageable. The cost of the damage is unknown at this point.

The fire occurred at 74003 115th Street in LeRoy.