Cigarette possible cause of house fire

Published 9:35 am Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Austin home sustained only smoke damage after a fire — possibly caused by a cigarette — broke out in the basement early Tuesday morning.

Several people in the home, which is located in the 500 block of Ninth Street NE, awoke to the smell of smoke and the sound of smoke detectors around 2:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Residents of the house told law enforcement and fire officials that they had friends over earlier in the evening and were smoking in the basement, making it likely that a cigarette started the fire.

Email newsletter signup

Police Chief Brian Krueger said damage to the home was minimal and the fire only managed to destroy a dehumidifier.

Most other damages were smoke-related, Krueger said.