Carbon monoxide leak sends 5 to hospital

Published 9:17 am Tuesday, September 21, 2010

MINNEAPOLIS — Five people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a Minneapolis apartment building.

Battalion Chief Don Leedham tells WCCO-TV that two of the five were critically injured by the toxic fumes.

More than 130 people were evacuated from the public housing complex and boarded Metro Transit buses to be evaluated early Tuesday.

Email newsletter signup

Leedham says a faulty flue on a boiler is suspected of causing the leak. Most residents have been allowed to return to their apartments.