Weathering on to the end

Published 3:18 pm Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Austin Blue Sox weathered a one-hour rain delay and survived a late-game rally Friday night to claim a 6-4 win over Rosemount at Riverland Community College.

Heavy rains, with the sun shining no less, forced the two teams to their dugouts for about a half hour with another half hour tacked on to get a water-logged infield ready to play at Dick Seltz Field.

The Black Sox, who tagged starting pitcher Joe Huffman early, got on the board first off a single by Dylan Porter that scored lead-off batter Matt Tschida.

Email newsletter signup

Austin responded quickly in the bottom of the third on a solo homerun off the bat of Dan Swift to make it 1-1.

Rosemount took the lead back in the very next inning when Phillip Goedderz singled-in Dave Molde.

Despite sitting with a 2-1 deficit, Huffman was able to get out of bigger jams in both the first and fourth innings that could have led to bigger problems for the Blue Sox.

This allowed time for the Austin bats to finally take hold in the fifth inning when Rosemount pitcher Lance Anderson quickly loaded the bases, giving up a double to Craig Selk, walking Swift and hitting Duell Higbe.

Selk scored when Marty Dick hit into a 4-6-3 doubleplay to tie the game and Swift scored when Shaun Breslin struck out but was able to reach when the ball skipped past the catcher for a 3-2 lead.

Huffman left the game after five innings, striking out 10 and giving up six hits. Both runs were earned.

“The balls were a little sticky all night,” Huffman admitted. “There were some control problems here and there.

“The curveball felt pretty good tonight.”

Austin padded their lead in the sixth, giving reliever Dylan Monson a 6-2 lead. Monson took the lead and cruised through the sixth, getting the first two batters he faced to pop up and striking out the third.

However, Monson ran into trouble in the seventh inning when the Black Sox were able to mount a rally that pulled them to within two, but was able to get out of it on a fly-out.

Because of the rain delay the game was shortened to seven innings.

Swift ended the night at the plate with a homerun and a pair of RBIs and Higbe racked up a double with a pair of RBIs.