Suspect arrested for threats
Published 7:12 am Wednesday, July 7, 2010
A 38-year-old Rochester man faces several felony charges after allegedly breaking into an Austin home and threatening former tenants.
Scott Christopher Malo was charged Friday with two counts of burglary and one count of making terrorisitc threats, as well as two lesser assault charges.
In custody on $50,000 bail, or $10,000 with conditions, Malo is scheduled for arraignment July 15.
According to a criminal complaint, Malo entered a property in the 600 block of Seventh Avenue Northwest uninvited on Thursday afternoon. There he allegedly confronted two women, who the complaint describes as former tenants of his.
The complaint states that Malo was trying to get money and keys back from the women. When one of them started filming the incident, he allegedly grabbed her arm and tried to get her to stop filming. He also allegedly yelled racial slurs during the incident and made threats to the two.
Malo did retrieve a pair of keys and then left the residence, the complaint states. After police spoke with the female tenants, as well as a current landlord, they arranged a meeting with Malo at 104 First Street Southwest. There, he told police that the two women had previously “trashed” his rental property and that they owed him money.
Malo admitted that he went to their residence in the 600 block of Seventh Avenue Northwest and got a “little hot-headed.” He also admitted to grabbing at the women when they began to use the camera, saying that they had no right to film him.
Malo added that he got into an argument with a current landlord, and he also said he used racially derogatory and possibly threatening language. However, Malo said he felt he had the right to enter the residence after knocking and getting no answer.