6-year-old Austin boy chokes, dies

Published 9:50 am Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A 6-year-old Austin boy died after choking on a hot dog Sunday.

According to a police report, officers responded to a 911 call in the 2000 block of Oakland Avenue East at around 2:30 p.m. There, they found Briant Reyes Rosas laying on the floor and not breathing. His mother said he started choking after taking one bite of the hot dog. She said the Heimlich maneuver was attempted without success before she called 911.

Reyes Rosas was taken by ambulance to Austin Medical Center and later transferred to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester. It is unclear at this time when he died.

Email newsletter signup

Services are pending at Mayer Funeral Home in Austin.