One injured in house fire this morning

Published 7:52 am Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One person was injured after a blanket caught fire at approximately 7:30 a.m. today in a second story bedroom at 405 Third Ave. S.W. in Austin.

Symone Khalek suffered blisters to her hands, feet and arm after pulling the burning blanket off a bed, Fire Chief Dan Wilson said. Khalek was transported to Austin Medical Center.

Six people were home at the time, including three children. A 7-year-old boy had left for school before the fire.

Email newsletter signup

Janie Chandee, 19, who lives at the house, said she did not know how the fire began.

“It spread quickly,” she said.

Wilson confirmed the fire started in an east bedroom.

“It was pretty much one room, but the whole second floor has smoke damage,” he said.

Somchith Vangkham, 29, owner of the house, said all seven residents are family members.

Wilson said the family was “lucky” because there were no smoke detectors on the second floor; the first floor had a detector, but it did not have a battery.