Cigarette likely cause of house fire

Published 10:36 am Friday, March 20, 2009

Austin police and the Austin Fire Department responded to a residential fire Thursday night in northwest Austin.

According to the Austin police report, officers arrived at 904 Fourth St. N.W. to find flames visible in the front porch of the residence. Police used a garden hose to put down the fire, and firefighters finished the job when they arrived.

Damage to the porch was minimal, and there were no injuries. The house was rented by Kevin Wald, 23.

Email newsletter signup

According to the police report, the fire is believed to have started from a cigarette in an ashtray found in the area of the fire.

Foul play is not suspected in the case.