No injuries in rural Austin fire ignited by candles

Published 10:23 am Thursday, October 16, 2008

No injuries were reported Wednesday after a porch fire at a rural Austin residence.

According to Mower County Sheriff’s Office and Austin Fire Department reports, the fire occurred at 12:45 p.m. at 24767 U.S. Highway 218 North in Lansing Township.

Two sisters were home alone at the time of the fire, which originated when a lit candle ignited a couch on the porch at the residence.

Email newsletter signup

The oldest daughter attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

She also called 911 for firefighters and her father arrived home in time to assist his daughters in escaping possibly toxic fumes from the burning couch, according to reports.