LeRoy man dies from injuries suffered in Wednesday house fire

Published 12:00 am Thursday, April 18, 2002

A LeRoy man is dead after suffering third-degree burns on his chest and arms during a fire at his home Wednesday.

According to Mower County Sheriff Barry Simonson, officials were called to Free's residence in the 500 block of East Main Street in LeRoy at 5:48 a.m. and found the house engulfed in flames.

Simonson said Free's three teenage sons said Free had been painting in the home and they weren't sure if he had been mixing paint or solvents and somehow had started the fire that way.

Email newsletter signup

The house was declared a total loss.

Free was transported to the Ramsey Burn Unit in St. Paul where he died this morning. His wife and sons were taken to the Austin Medical Center where they were treated.

The fire is still under investigation.

Amanda L. Rohde can be reached at 434-2214 or by e-mail at :mailto:amanda.rohde@austindailyherald.com