Support group here to help family members with disabilitiesPublished 10:40am Saturday, March 9, 2013
You probably have a number of questions about disabilities, and your child’s health and development.
The Family Networking and Support Group is here to help parents navigate the sometimes murky waters of parenting a child with disabilities. We strive to provide the most up-to-date information and resources to help you educate yourself.
Most of all, we want you to remember that you are not alone. There will be many challenges, but they will be accompanied by great joy.
The Family Networking and Support Group is a network of families at your fingertips who are ready to offer encouragement, personal experience and a sympathetic ear when you are facing difficulty.
This may not be the journey you were expecting, but it will be an exciting journey nonetheless. Raising a child with disabilities is both challenging and exciting.
Sponsored by The Arc Mower County, the Family Networking and Support Group will be offered bi-monthly and will not only provide networking and educational opportunities for parents, but provide fun and friendship for individuals with disabilities. This group is open to everyone and will meet from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Monday at The Arc Mower County in Austin.
At the meeting:
• Know you are not alone.
• Join other parents in a safe, positive, non-judgmental environment to share experiences and ideas that can lead to a bright future for you and your family.
• Learn about and share resources.
• Hear from guest speakers.
• Develop friendships.
• Receive emotional support.
• Learn advocacy skills
For more information on this program please contact Jamey Helgeson, program director at 507-433-8994, extension 102.
• The Arc’s 18th annual Rose Sale: This event continues through April 2. We are recruiting Rose Sale Captains. Contact The Arc at 507-433-8994 for details or visit www.arcmowercounty.org.
• Saturday, April 6, is the third annual Taste of Mower County at the Austin Holiday Inn. The event kicks off at 5:30 p.m. with food tastings of signature items from Mower County’s finest chefs and ends about 8:30 p.m. There will be a cash bar, wine tastings, prizes, live and silent auction and entertainment. Chefs will be judged on their food by guests in different categories: restaurant chefs and home chefs.
Tickets are available now: $25 for individuals, $40 for couples, $75 for a half table (four people) or $150 for a full table (eight people).
Sponsorship opportunities are also available: $1,000 for Top Chef, $750 for Iron Chef, $500 for Ace of Cakes and $250 for Galloping Gourmet.
Call 507-433-8994 or visit www.arcmowercounty.org to purchase tickets or for more information.