UPDATE: Man and toddler escape blaze that ravages NW Austin home

Published 12:45 pm Thursday, September 21, 2023

An man and a toddler in a northwest Austin home were able to escape through an upstairs window late Thursday morning during a house fire that caused extensive damage to the entire structure.

According to Fire Chief Jim McCoy, the man and a toddler were able to escape the blaze, which was called in around 10:51 a.m., to safety just before crews arrived. 

The home was completely engulfed when crews arrived with both flames and smoke visible, prompting an all-shift page. Brownsdale and Mapleview fire departments also responded with manpower assistance. 

Email newsletter signup

All told, McCoy confirmed that three people live at the home, but the third occupant was not home at the time.

While a damage estimate has not been determined, McCoy said that the State Fire Marshall was able to determine the fire originated in the kitchen area.

“It appears a burner was accidentally turned on, which caused a pizza box on top of the stove to catch fire,” he said. “A mattress was in the area of the stove and caught fire leading to extensive damage throughout the house.”

The fire caused extensive damage to the home with both fire and smoke damage to the main and second floors and smoke damage to the basement area.

McCoy reminds people to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes and as the time nears to change clocks back an hour, to remember to change the batteries.