Ask A Trooper: Visitors from other countries do not need Minnesota drivers license

Published 7:55 pm Tuesday, August 22, 2023

By Sgt. Troy Christianson

Question: Hello, I am part of a group sponsoring a family from the Ukraine.  They arrived a couple weeks ago and we have met with the state offices to get them lined up with social security numbers, work permits, etc. The husband and wife both have current driver licenses from Ukraine. They want to obtain a Minnesota license and are scheduled for the written knowledge exam, followed by the road test.

In the meantime, are they able to drive on their Ukrainian license?  We have a car for them and already have insurance policies for them.  The husband has received some job offers and would like to be able to drive to work, etc. Please advise.

Email newsletter signup

Answer: If you are visiting Minnesota from another country with a valid license from your home country, you are not required to get a Minnesota license. But if you have become a Minnesota resident, you have 60 days to get a state license.

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober.  Help us drive Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson – Minnesota State Patrol at 2900 48th Street NW, Rochester MN 55901-5848.  (Or reach him at,