Rural Austin home damaged in fire
No injuries were reported after a rural Austin residence was damaged in a Monday morning fire.
According to Mower County Sheriff Steve Sandvik, Mower County deputies responded to a fire call at about 4:47 a.m. on Monday at a residence in the 53000 block of 180th Street in rural Austin. The Austin Fire Department also responded to the scene and called in assistance from the Brownsdale, Lyle, and Rose Creek Fire Departments.
The occupants of the residence were able to get out safely. They declined assistance from the American Red Cross.
The State Fire Marshal was called to the scene to investigate. According to Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy, the cause of the fire was determined to be a heat lamp in the second floor bedroom that had been left on for an excessive amount of time on Sunday.
The fire got into the attic insulation, requiring all of the insulation to be removed to prevent another spark, McCoy said.
The site was cleared at about 12:25 p.m. Monday.
McCoy estimates damages to the residence to be about $80,000 with an additional $25,000 in content lost.
A federal judge threw out the unequal pay claim by players on the U.S. women’s national soccer team in a... read more