• 18°

House damaged in Thursday afternoon cooking fire

No injuries were reported after a Northwest Austin home was damaged in a Thursday afternoon fire.

According to a Friday morning press release from the Austin Fire Department, the AFD responded to a 911 emergency call at about 3:15 p.m. on Thursday of a fire at a residence in the 900 block of 13th Avenue Northwest.

The cause of the fire was determined to be from cooking. Estimated damages are approximately $35,000.

With Gov. Tim Walz’s Executive Order 20-20, also known as the “Stay at Home Order,” now in effect, more people should be staying home, thus making cooking more prevalent. When cooking, the AFD suggests the following safety tips:

• Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. Never leave your oven or stovetop unattended while cooking. If you do need to leave the oven or stovetop, move the pot or pan to an unused burner and shut off the burner you had been using.

• Keep your cooking area clean. Do not leave anything that can catch fire by, on or inside your oven or stovetop, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging or towels.

• Turn pan or pot handles towards the back of the stovetop.

• Keep children and pets away from cooking areas.

• If you are tired or have consumed alcohol, do not use the oven or stovetop.