Fishing for a Cure raises over $24K; Record setting fish caught
The annual Fishing for a Cure Paint the Town Pink event was held this past Saturday at East Side Lake.
According to Hayley Newman, who co-hosts the event with her father, Glenn Newman, the amount raised from this year’s event is $24,594, just slightly down from about $26,200 raised in 2019.
“Our number of fishermen was down this year,” Hayley said. “We had about 160 last year; this year we had 133.”
Part of this year’s amount came from a $5,000 donation. All of the money will be donated to The Hormel Institute for cancer research.
Although the number of participants was down, a record setting fish was caught during the event. This year’s winners for largest fish were 4-year-old Levi Lentz and his brother, 7-year-old Landen Lentz, of Rochester, who caught a two pound, five ounce bass, the largest fish ever caught since the event’s inception.
“To give you an idea of the size difference, the second place fish was six ounces,” Hayley said. “Usually, six to eight ounce fishes are the winners.”
The Newmans expressed gratitude to all of the participants and businesses that made the event possible.
“Thanks to everybody for participating and all of the businesses that donated to us,” Glenn said. “That’s why we do all of the things we do, because of the people who support us. We couldn’t do it without them.”
“I want to thank all of our local businesses and participants for all that they do for us,” Hayley said. “We can’t wait to see them again next year.”
Upcoming Paint the Town Pink events
• Feb. 1: Plunging for Pink, 12:30-3:30 p.m. at East Side Lake
• Feb. 6: St. Mark’s Living Annual PTTP Bake Sale and Luncheon, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at St. Mark’s Living
• Feb. 8: Home Federal PTTP Craft Show, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Home Federal Savings Bank
• Feb. 8: Paint the Rink Pink Austin Bruins Hockey Game, 7:05 p.m. at Riverside Arena
• Feb. 9: Smashing Cancer Demolition Derby, 1 p.m. at the Mower County Fairgrounds
• Feb. 14-15: Paint the Town Pink – Rose Creek at various locations in Rose Creek