Best Bets: Come ‘Home for the Holidays’
Join the Austin Symphony Orchestra and the MacPhail Austin Community Children’s Choir for a fun-filled afternoon in celebration of the season, “Home for the Holidays,” at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15, at Knowlton Auditorium, Austin High School.
Come hear story of Hansel and Gretel as well as the clatter of boots on the roof as that jolly fellow from the North Pole lands to deliver his many gifts.
“Home for the Holidays” celebrates the stories of the season in song and word and in the joy of children’s faces.
In its fourth year, the MacPhail Children’s Community Choir is excited to make music with students from all across the district. Since the beginning, the choir has been filled with musical learning, engaging music and fun for third and fourth graders in Austin Public Schools.
“Home for the Holidays” includes “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Bill Holcombe, “Song of the Sandman Dream Pantomime” from “Hansel and Gretel” by Engelbert Humperdinck, “On Christmas Day” by Steven Amundson and “A Holiday Hoedown” by Daniel Kallman. The event will be narrated by Sweet Reads owner Lisa Deyo.
Tickets are $15. For tickets or more information, go to www.austinmnsymphony.org.
Other holiday fun
• Accentra Credit Union Holiday Open House, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Join Accentra as they celebrate the season with holiday refreshments and prizes.
• Bremer Bank Holiday Open House, noon to 4 p.m. Stop in for a holiday coloring contest and enjoy snacks and warm beverages.
• Christmas Dinner Party, noon at the Mower County Senior Center. Come be a part of the Mower County Senior Center family with a traditional Christmas dinner featuring brown sugar ham or turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, yams and desserts. Entertainment is sponsored by The Cedars of Austin – featuring Jazz One. Cost is $8.50 for members and $9.50 for non-members. To sign up or for more information, stop by the Senior Center front desk or call 507-433-2370.
• Christmas in the County Pre-Sell Bake Sale, 3-5:30 p.m. at the Mower County Historical Society Administration Building. Get a jump-start on your holiday baking. This annual fundraiser will feature homemade cookies, lefse, candies and goodies galore. For more information, call 507-437-6082.
• “Cakes with Claus” fundraiser, 8-10 a.m. at the Lyle Legion. Enjoy a delicious, free will donation, pancake breakfast and sleigh rides from Horse N’ Around. Snap a picture and visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus; they have a special gift for the first 100 kids! There will also be lots of goodies available at the holiday bake sale. This event is open to the public and we welcome people of all ages, from all around the area, to come out to support this fundraiser for Lyle’s upcoming 150th Celebration.
• Kids’ Studio – Reindeer Painting on Canvas, 10:30 a.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. With Krystal Lennie. For kids ages 5-10 years old. Cost: $5. To sign up or for more information, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Second Saturday Craft for All Ages – Mason Jar Holiday Vase, 10:30 a.m. at the Austin Public Library. All ages welcome; each child under 5 years of age must be accompanied by an adult for the entire craft. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Christmas in the County, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mower County Historical Society. Join the MCHS for an old-fashioned Christmas. Silent auction, horse-drawn wagon rides, kids activities, visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus, food stand, bakes sales and much more. A raffle drawing will be held at 3 p.m.
• Author Visit – Mary Bleckwehl, 1 p.m. at Sweet Reads. Meet author Mary Bleckwehl, whose children’s gift books may be just what you need to help Santa make this a great Christmas for your kids. For more information, call 507-396-8660.
• Open House – Nativity House, 1-5 p.m. at 606 Oakland Place NE, Austin. The Nativity House invites you and your family to see our collection of over 900 nativity scenes. $1 donation to the Salvation Army requested. For groups of 10 or more interested in visiting, please call 507-437-4563 (Discover Austin) to make arrangements; for families, smaller groups or individuals, please call 507-433-2643 and talk with Helen or Bill.
• Santa at the Y, 6-8 p.m. at the Austin YMCA. Pictures with Santa, holiday crafts, bounce house, pizza, cookie decorating, pool inflatables and gymnastic gym. Free for members, $20 for non-member families.
• Simple Gifts with Billy McGlaughlin, 2:30 p.m. at the Historic Paramount Theatre. Minnesota’s modern old-world sound presenting traditional Christmas hymns and carols in modern arrangements. Tickets $25 in advance for adults or $18 in advance for seniors/students; $30 for adults or $20 for seniors/students at the door. For tickets or more information, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
Schedule of Events
• Tween Advisory Group, 4 p.m. at the Austin Public Library. For youth in grades 4-7 – here’s your chance to get involved and have a voice in the library’s youth activities programs. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Tween Reads Book Club, 4:45 p.m. at the Austin Public Library. Here’s a chance for youth in grades 4-7 to get together and discuss the books they love. Book selection for December is “Framed” by James Ponti. For more information, call 507-433-2391.
• Kay Sea Club Bingo, 5:30 p.m. at the Mower County Senior Center. 15 games will be played, $12 per packet. For more information, call 507-219-2884.
• Austin Bruins vs. Minot Minotauros – Austin Youth Hockey Night, 7:05 p.m. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets available at Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, Games People Play, Jim’s MarketPlace and Riverside Arena. For more information, go to www.austinbruins.com.
• Austin Bruins vs. Minot Minotauros – Ladies Night, 7:05 p.m. at Riverside Arena. Go, Bruins! Tickets available at Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, Games People Play, Jim’s MarketPlace and Riverside Arena. For more information, go to www.austinbruins.com.
• Kay Sea Club Bingo, 1:30 p.m. at the Mower County Senior Center. 15 games will be played, $12 per packet. For more information, call 507-219-2884.
For Mower County Administrator Trish Harren, hearing from Gov. Tim Walz at the Association of Minnesota Counties annual conference talk... read more