Ask a Trooper: Sharing the road with commercial motor vehicles

Published 6:51 am Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Question: If our semi-truck/trailer combo weight is over 10,000 lbs., what are the requirements for labeling the trailer?  We know the USDOT number and company name need to be displayed on both sides of the truck tractor, but are not sure what is required for the trailer itself.

Answer: The trailer would also require a unit number.  You are able to choose the number for your trailer. The power unit (truck tractor) would also require a unit number.

For those of us sharing the roadways with Commercial Motor Vehicles:

Email newsletter signup

• Keep a safe distance when following

• Avoid blind spots

• Never cut a large truck off

• Always use your turn signal for lane changes

Commercial Vehicle Drivers:

• Watch your blind spots

• Maintain your truck

• Load your cargo wisely

• Reduce speed on curves

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober.  Help us drive Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota email your questions to