Farm shop destroyed by fire

Published 8:45 am Saturday, June 2, 2018

No injuries were reported in a fire that destroyed a farm shop on Thursday in rural Adams.

According to Adams Fire Chief Curt Sheely, the Adams Fire Department was called at 12:20 p.m. on Thursday to a fire at 65713 110th St. in rural Adams, near Johnsburg. A farm repair shop on the property had a smoldering fire that spread up the wall into the attic.

The Stacyville Fire Department was called to provide mutual aid, according to Sheely. The farm shop’s garage door had to be removed to gain entry to the building and the exterior siding had to be removed to extinguish the flames.

Email newsletter signup

The property’s owner, Jay Gaskill, said he had done some work at the shop earlier that morning. The cause appeared to be sparks that had started in the wallboard and burned up the rafters to the roof.

The site was cleared at 2:40 p.m.

Sheely said the building was a total loss; however, some of the items inside were salvageable.