Ask a Trooper: Criteria needed for towing vehicle with dolly

Published 8:26 am Friday, June 15, 2018

Question: If I rent a properly licensed and lighted tow dolly from a rental company, can I tow a non-running vehicle that is not licensed (no current plates) and not insured? Do I need tail lights in addition to the dolly lights?

Answer: A tow dolly is used to tow a vehicle behind a recreational vehicle or other larger vehicle. It has two wheels, an axle and a tow-hitch and is generally designed to tow a vehicle forward facing.

The following criteria must be met in order to tow a vehicle using a tow dolly:

Email newsletter signup

• The vehicle you are using to tow the dolly must be properly registered, insured and legal to tow the non-running vehicle (hitch, weight ratings, etc.).

• The dolly must have the required lights and reflectors.

• If the non-running vehicle extends beyond the dolly, it must be equipped with at least two tail lamps on the rear.

You may want to talk with your auto insurance agent about insuring the non-running vehicle.  Although the towing vehicle has insurance coverage, it might not apply in case of crash.