2 arrested on two counts drug possession
Published 8:51 am Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Two individuals were arrested on Monday after police allegedly found marijuana and pills while executing a search warrant.
Phillip Tyreese Gills, 35, of Austin was charged on Tuesday in Mower County District Court with two counts of felony fifth-degree drug possession.
Darnell Jones, 27, of Austin was also charged on Tuesday in Mower County District Court with felony fifth-degree drug possession.
Email newsletter signup
According to the court complaint, police executed a search warrant at 8:07 a.m. on a residence in the 500 block of Fifth Street Northwest. When they knocked and announced, they heard a male voice yell something, but no one answered the door.
They then forced their way in and found Gills and Jones in the residence with several other people.
The following items were allegedly seized during the search:
• 43.89 grams of marijuana in the basement rafters;
• A vacuum-sealed bag with marijuana residue in the basement;
• 136.16 grams of marijuana in the southwest bedroom;
• 20 alprazolam pills (a schedule IV drug) in the southwest bedroom;
• Two pieces of edible THC candy in the southwest bedroom;
• Digital scale with marijuana residue in the southwest bedroom;
• Marijuana pipe in the southwest bedroom;
• Marijuana blunts in the southwest bedroom; and
• $976 in cash from the southwest bedroom
After being read a Miranda warning, Jones said he sold marijuana and Gills said the marijuana and pills belonged to him, according to the complaint.
A review of Jones’s criminal record shows prior convictions for theft and user of a controlled substance in possession of a firearm, for which he is currently awaiting sentencing.
Jones will appear in court again on May 10. Gills will appear in court again on May 14.