Three treated for smoke inhalation after house fire

Published 10:44 am Monday, March 12, 2018

An adult male and two boys were treated for smoke inhalation at Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin after a house fire Sunday morning in Waltham.

According to Mower County Chief Deputy Mark May, a deputy responded to a 911 call made by a child at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday about a fire at 59319 307th St. in Waltham. When the deputy arrived, Jeremy Rohl, 26, and two boys, ages 8 and 9, were outside the residence next to a shed.

Smoke could be seen coming out of the windows, the doors and the roof vents.

Email newsletter signup

Rohl told the deputy he was wakened by smoke in his bedroom. As he was making his way to the children,, he noticed the wall between the laundry room and the bathroom was warm to the touch. He got the children out, then went back into the residence to retrieve some property and to shut off the liquefied petroleum tank.

The Brownsdale Fire Department responded to the scene and extinguished the fire. Rohl and the children agreed to be transported by Hayfield Community Ambulance to MCHS in Austin for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate the fire. There is no damage amount at this time.