Letter: Abortion is taking too many lives

Published 8:50 am Monday, January 26, 2015

Did you know that there are more deaths from abortion than from any other cause? It’s true. In 2013, in Minnesota, for example, 9,903 unborn children died from abortion. That same year, 9,469 Minnesotans died from cancer and 7,234 from heart disease, the other leading causes of death.

Abortion is not a disease and it’s not an accident. It is the deliberate taking of a human life. Unlike other causes of death, abortion is 100 percent preventable. Less than 1 percent of abortions are performed in cases of rape or incest or to save the life of the mother; the other 99 percent are elective. Do we really believe as a society that abortion is the only option for a woman who finds herself unexpectedly pregnant? Is abortion the best we can offer to women in need?

Women don’t want to abort their unborn children. We need to support pregnant women with all of the resources they need to bring their babies to term. Every unborn child is innocent and deserves a chance at life. Learn more at www.mccl.org.

Email newsletter signup

Harold Mandler,