House destroyed by fire; family OK
Published 10:34 am Wednesday, November 27, 2013
ROSE CREEK — A family lost its home but escaped without injuries Tuesday night.
The Rose Creek Fire Department and Mower County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a house fire at 108 Oak Street at about 8:50 p.m. where flames were on the second floor.
“I heard a window break and went out on the deck,” said Brad Ross, who called 911. “I had seen the flames in the upstairs window.”
Renters Susan and David Cox, their three children and a friend escaped without injuries, according to the Mower County Sheriff’s report.
Someone in the home reportedly heard a loud noise from upstairs, investigated and saw the fire in the southeast bedroom before also calling 911. The tenants tried, but were unable to douse the fire with water.
According to the sheriff’s report, old wiring in the home had been causing electrical issues, and the room where the fire originated was heated by an electric, oil-filled heater.
The report also states two dogs are OK, but a cat may have died in the fire.
Firefighters monitored the home until about 1:30 a.m. According to Rose Creek Fire Chief Fred Ulven, the home will be a total loss. The Mower County Chapter of the Red Cross is assisting the family with living arrangements.
—Eric Johnson contributed to this report.