Shed fire allegedly result of local trying to dispose of junk

Published 11:10 am Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Dexter Fire Department responded to a shed fire at about 9:30 p.m. Monday after a man watching the property intentionally set it on fire.

According to the report from the Sheriff’s department, Joseph Gordon Coffman, 52, who is watching the property for the St. Paul owner, burned the shed. Coffman said the shed — southwest of Dexter along Interstate 90 — was old and full of junk, so he was trying to get rid of it, according to the report.

However, Coffman did not obtain the proper permit from the county before burning the shed. The Sheriff’s department did not provide comment from the owner; however, firefighters found copper wiring, electrical wiring and the suspects tires were burned, as well.

Email newsletter signup

The case has been forwarded to the County Attorney’s office for formal charges.